Monday, July 22, 2013
Psychology
Psychology did call the next day. The man informed me that there were forms we needed to fill out. He wanted one to be filled out by us, the parents, and one to be filled out by his teacher. Since we homeschool, he suggested that my husband fill out the parent form and that I fill out the teacher form. These forms were exhaustive, to say the least. They took about four hours to complete! As we answered the questions, we realized D had many symptoms that we didn't even realize. Forgive me, but it's been two months since we filled out these forms, and I don't remember all the details of these questions. But, trust me when I say that I was shocked how many times I answered 'yes' to those questions. There were some scary questions too. Those I remember. Some of them were whether our son had ever vandalized property or sexually assaulted another child. Let me tell you, those were frightening questions. It makes you wonder: if you don't get help, is this the road you're on? Our appointment with Psychology is on August 6. First, they'll meet my husband and I. The following week, they'll meet D, and then the third week, they'll meet my husband and I again to discuss what they think is going on.
I think that about catches you up on what's been happening in our lives since December 2012. I hope for this blog to be sort of a journal for me to discuss the things going on daily in our life. Life with D has not been easy since we filled out this form. I have struggled greatly with my feelings toward him. On a level, his behavior and our lack of knowledge on how to help has caused stress between my husband and I and our relationship with our other children. I feel at a loss most days. I'm not depressed; I function quite well. I exercise most days, run my errands, and take care of my kids. It just feels like my heart's not in it. Emotionally, I do not know how to connect with D anymore, and I want that back desperately. With Psychology, I'm not looking for an easy answer. I'm a little hesitant of drugs. I'm not afraid to work hard with my son, but what we're doing is not helping. My hope with Psychology is that they can give us better tools to help our son. I do know that he struggles almost daily with Chiari headaches, and I'm very aware that that could be a big source behind his anger and aggression. We're just looking for some help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment